Monday, October 25, 2021

Water Sucks. It Really, Really Sucks

    It's laundry day and I have several loads to do. I also needed to do some errands and grab some things from the store.  My first load didn't drain well during the spin cycle, I thought maybe my husband had stopped it for some reason. I just decided to set it to spin again and went about cleaning the counters. When my husband came inside I mentioned it to him and he said he hadn't touched it. I shrugged it off, put in another load and went off to my errands.
    While we were out we got a phone call from my step sister who is living with us, she wanted to know where to find the mop and some shitty towels. I guess she must've spilled something. We finished our shopping and went home.
        When we got to the house the kitchen was in disarray and soaked towels were everywhere. It was like there had been a flood, she had soaked up a ton of water before we even got there. She was probably freaking out, can you imagine being at someone else's house and having some crazy shit like that happen? 
    I digress.
    The water had come up and out of the sink drain and went all over the kitchen.  I have a big-ass one tub sink, too, that's a lot of water. Then I remembered the washing machine. 
    My husband got out a plunger and took to the sink. Almost immediately water spewed from the back of the washing machine and up towards the ceiling. Eventually the plunging worked out the clog and we started to clean up the rest of the water. It's a good thing I have lots of old towels.
    I'd been wanting to clean the cabinet under the sink for a while and since it was now soaked there really wasn't a better time. I took everything out, got rid of the stuff we don't need and mopped up the best I could. By the time I was finished it was time to make dinner, chicken cordon bleu; I'd never made it before.  It has ham in it and I had leftovers so it seemed like a good idea. 
    I can get pretty stressed the first time I try a recipe so started gathering the ingredients.  I just wanted everything I'd need right there and ready to use.  This recipe calls for breadcrumbs and I keep those in my lazy Susan. This one is built in to the cabinet and has two solid plastic shelves on top of each other, common I think. But... both shelves had turned into swimming pools. The damn water had made it's way across the counter and into both of the levels somehow. 
    I started pulling out everything, ramen, the bread crumbs, brownie mix, peanut butter, etc. Everything not in plastic was soaked. My husband had to get the Shop-Vac and suck up as much water as possible. I had to throw out an entire trash bag of soaked food. By the time I got finished doing that it was 7:15 pm and I'd had enough. I told my husband that I didn't care what we ate for dinner but I wasn't making it; chicken cordon bleu will have to wait. He got pizza. 
    Now I'm sitting here at my chicken table, with a laundry basket full of cleaners and things that go under the sink, while a fan tries to completely dry the shitty wood it's made from. I've got a load in both the washer and the dryer, normally that would be the last of it. Tonight I'll have to do all of the towels and rugs so they don't mildew, hoping all the while that the water goes where it's supposed to. I really hope it does because all I have left are hand towels and blankets!    
    I'm not really sure what the point is in me telling this story. Maybe someone will read it and be able to relate, or maybe they'll be glad it wasn't them this time. Anyway, stay curious. 


    Just after writing this a friend of mine told me his dog died today. As hectic and annoying as my day was, I'm now so grateful that too much water was my biggest issue. Rest in peace little guy.  


No comments:

Post a Comment